Elmer, New Jersey
"The Small Town with the Big Welcome"

Visit Us on Facebook


Frequently Asked Questions

If you have a question, please E-mail Dawn Williams at landuse@elmerboroughnj.com 

Your question and answer will be added to this page.

Permits are NOT needed for yard sales :)


Where do I register to vote?  Where do I vote?

Residents can register at the Borough Hall.

Click here for the Voter Registration form.

Click here for the Voter Registration form in Spanish.

All primary and general elections are held at the Elmer Fire Department, 110 Penn Street.

Where is the Borough Hall and what are the office hours?

The Borough Hall is located at 120 Main Street. The Borough Hall is open on Mondays between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m.  You may wish to call first, or come and view the posted hours on the doors and sign.


How can I vote absentee, or "vote by mail?"

Applications for an absentee ballot (Vote By Mail) may be obtained either by phoning 856-358-4010 or visiting the Clerk's office on the second floor of Borough Hall on Mondays between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m.

Click here for the Vote by Mail application.

Click here for the Vote by Mail application in Spanish.

Who do I contact to arrange public utility services?

Water:  Elmer Water Department 856-358-4010 

Cable:  Comcast 856-694-4600

Electric:  Atlantic City Electric 1-800-642-3780

Telephone:  Verizon 1-800-427-9977

Verizon Internet:  https://www.verizon.com/local/new-jersey/ 

AT&T:  https://www.attsavings.com/  

DIRECTV:  https://www.directvplans.com/  

Natural Gas:  South Jersey Gas 1-888-766-9900

Trash and Recycling Concerns: Green Guys Recycling Solutions 1-800-633-9096

Compare Cable|TV Options: http://www.cabletv.com/ 

Internet Service Providers:  http://www.internetproviders.com/

AllConnect (Internet, TV, phone, gas, electricity...):   https://www.allconnect.com/

Who do I contact to find out about garbage and recycling pick-up?

Trash is picked up curb-side every Friday.  Recycling is picked up curb-side every other Friday.  Contact the Borough Clerk for a calendar with special recycling information, or click here


When does one need a building permit?

Most anything that costs over $100 needs a building permit. Permits are required for the following types of construction: additions, plumbing alterations, fences over six feet in height, new buildings, signs, lawn sprinkler systems, electrical alterations, decks, driveway, roof, fireplaces, relocation of structures, site development and swimming pools. 

Contact Pittsgrove Township Construction Office for specific directions.

856-358-2300 X6026

Where do I obtain a building permit?

The Pittsgrove Township Construction Office is located on Centerton Road, Pittsgrove, New Jersey 08318.  Call 856-358-2300 X6026 for Office Hours.


Where do I pay a ticket issued by the Elmer Police, including parking tickets?

All motor vehicle or other summons issued by the Elmer Police are handled by the Mid Salem County Court located at 25 West Avenue, Woodstown, NJ 08098. Call 856-769-2424 for further directions.

Who are the major employers in town?

Visit the Salem County Chamber of Commerce website at http://www.salemcountychamber.com/ to learn more about major employers and employment opportunities.

If I am planning on opening a business, what must I do?

Your first call should be to the Land Use Board Secretary, to determine if the proposed business is permitted in the Borough.  If the proposed business site is not located in commerical district, variances may be required before opening.  Secretary Dawn Williams can be reached at 856-358-0339.


If I am planning outdoor construction, who must I notify?

Get connected and protected by calling 811. This easy to remember, new nationwide number is federally mandated and designated by the Federal Communications Commission to consolidate all local “Call Before You Dig” numbers. One FREE call to 811 from your cell phone or land line gets your utility lines marked and helps protect you from potential injury and unnecessary expense.


How do I obtain a license for my dog and|or cat?

Call the Pet Collector's Office at 856-358-4010 X120. All dogs and cats that live in Elmer must be properly licensed.  Pet licenses expire on December 31st of the year they were issued.  New licenses are to be purchased at the beginning of the following year.  A grace period for purchasing licenses is given until March 31st.  After March 31st, a late fee of $20 per license is charged.  State statute requires all pets be vaccinated for rabies before licenses are issued.  Rabies vaccinations must not expire before November 1st of the licensing year for a license to be issued.  License fees are $10 for spayed|neutered dog or cat, $15 for unspayed|unneutered dogor cat.  Click here for the Salem County FREE Rabies Vaccination Clinics. 

The Animal Registrar is open for in-person licenses on Tuesdays, 3:00 - 7:00 pm in the Vital Statistics Office (Borough Hall, 2nd floor window next to elevator).

Licenses may also be obtained through the mail:  send in a copy of your pet's current rabies certificate and proof of spay/neuter (if applicable) with fees (check or money order payable to Borough of Elmer) and a self addressed stamped envelope to: Animal Registrar, Borough of Elmer, PO Box 882, Elmer, NJ 08318.

PLEASE NOTE: If you feed an outdoor cat on your property you are assuming ownership and it must be vaccinated and licensed. For any questions about feral cat control please contact Councilman Zee at 609-774-8628.

Animal Registrar Office: 856-358-4010 X120 or e-mail pets@elmerboroughnj.com 


How do I register a vacant or adandoned property?

Call the Housing Officer at 856-358-4010 X114.  Click here for the registration form.


What does a "State of Emergency" mean to residents?

Click here to learn more from the New Jersey Office of Emergency Management.


Where do I go to get a certified copy of a birth, death, or marriage that took place in the Borough of Elmer?